All government schools in Victoria have a school council. The school council is the group of people who govern the school. A school council directly influences the quality of education that a school provides to its students. The main objectives of a school council are: to assist in the efficient governance of the school, to ensure students’ best interests are the main goal, to enhance the educational opportunities for students and to ensure compliance with relevant legislation and regulations.
What is the function of the school council?
- Establish the broad direction and vision of the school within the school’s community,
- Participate in the development and monitoring of the school strategic plan,
- Develop, review and update school policies,
- Develop, review and monitor the Student Engagement Policy and the School Dress Code,
- Raise funds for school related purposes,
- Approve the annual budget and monitor expenditure,
- Maintain the school’s grounds and facilities,
- Enter into contracts for cleaning and construction work,
- Report annually to the school community and to DEECD, and
- Generally stimulate interest in the school in the wider community.
There are three (3) categories of membership for school council membership: parent members, DEECD employee members and community members. School councillors are elected for a two year term.
School Council must meet at least eight (8) times in each year, and at least once per school term. Meetings are generally held on a Monday night and last no longer than 2.5 hours. In our College, all councillors are expected to sit on at least one subcommittee. Sub committees generally meet at least twice a term, or on a needs basis.
Information about the school council can be obtained from the following people:
Mr. Tony Simpson (College Principal),
Mrs. Lisa Jackson (School Council President),
Ms. Mary Chiodo (Campus Principal Delahey),
Mrs Carmen Tamburro (Principal’s Secretary),
Community and Stakeholder Relations Branch (DEECD).
The following websites may also be of assistance: